Biking Around Athens City
The capital of Greece, with the joys of the mountain and the pleasures of the sea equally available, can really thrill the bikers.
Mount the bicycle of your imagination and follow us on an enchanting trip around the beauties of Athens.
Kids of all ages, set the wheels in motion…
Take your family along and follow safe ways throughparks and cycle lanes. Treat your spare time of nonchalance with fitness in the following suggested places:
- Park of Environmental Information and Sensitisation “Antonis Tritsis”.
- “Syggrou” grove in Kifissia
- The ex royal estate in Tatoy
- The Technical University’s park in Zografou
The longest pedestrian walkway is Dionysiou Areopagitou street It starts at the Hadrian’s Arch; it goes past the Acropolis Museum and keeps on through Apostolou Pavlou street to Thissio and Monastiraki and at Assomaton square, it meets Ermou street. Take the latter and go as far as Gazi or Plaka.
Feel the energy of the surroundings: incomparable monuments of the Greek cultural heritage will set the backdrop for an unforgettable ride pas the Ancient Agora, the Ancient Dionysus Theatre, the Roman Agora. For a time journey back to the ages of the old times of Athens as capital of the Hellenic Republic, Plaka is the best choice.
Caressed by the sea breeze…
When you have cycled around the city center but you are eager for more, go to the Athens Riviera and enjoy some ouzo after your ride. Suggested Rides.
Athens Bike Tour: City Highlights
Ride through Athens on a 3-hour bike tour and see both modern and ancient sights while following an expert local guide around town! After leaving the lower slopes of the UNESCO-listed Acropolis of Athens, stop for photos at the Rock of Ares and then ride to Plaka to enjoy a selection of typical Greek pastries inside a century-old pastry shop. Visit off-the-beaten-path sites like Keramikos Cemetery as well as top Athens attractions such as Syntagma Square, Panathinaikos Stadium and more! Numbers are limited to six on this small-group tour.
Athens Bike Tour: City to Coast
Cycle from city to coast on this 4-hour Athens bike tour! Led by an expert local guide, your leisurely paced tour takes in all the sights of Athens on your way to the Aegean Sea. Ride through the vibrant neighborhoods of Thission and Petralona; head inside the Averof Ship Museum to learn about the country’s naval heritage; and then stop for drinks at chic Faliro Marina, where all the well-heeled Athenians hang out. Relax in a beach-side taverna in Palaio Faliro and then bask on the beach – just remember to bring your bathing suit! Numbers are limited to eight.
Transportation of bicycles in Athens
Urban Rail Transport S.A. in its effort to contribute to the combined transportation of passengers, allows the transportation of bikes with trains of Metro lines 1, 2 and 3 and of the Tram line, during all days and hours of the week, at all stations.
The Management of Urban Rail Transport S.A. reserves the right to modify the hours and the stations for the free transportation of bikes, always taking into account the safety and the facilitation of all passengers. For the smooth operation of the stations, the users of bikes have to keep in mind the following notes:
- Up to two bikes are allowed, which can be served from the last door of every train, during all days and hours, that is from Monday until Sunday, from the start until the end of operation at all stations, without exceptions.
- Regardless of the application of the above policy for the transportation of bikes, persons with disabilities and persons that require special assistance (elderly persons and pregnant women) still maintain absolute priority.
- Users of bikes who want to use the trains, should carry their bikes to the trains or use the elevators. The transportation of bikes using the escalators is strictly forbidden.
- During the days and times when athletic or other events take place near the tracks of the METRO Lines 1, 2 and 3, the transportation of bikes at all the stations will not be allowed, due to the high density of passengers in trains and at the platforms.